How do I write maths notation in a post?

• 0 Replies

admin

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
  • Your Maths Tutor
    • View Profile
  • Twitter: YourMathsTutor
How do I write maths notation in a post?
« on: 23 June, 2018, 10:06:03 pm »
We've had a good think about the best ways of inputting maths and science notation - which using a laptop or mobile phone keyboard is not a straightforward ask. There are currently three ways of writing maths notation directly in a post...

The first method is to use \( \LaTeX \). This is a special typesetting language that's easy to learn (see the Learn \( \LaTeX \) in 30 minutes guide for details).

For example, say I want to write the fraction a half like this:
\[ \frac{1}{2} \]
... so that it actually looks like a fraction. To achieve this then in \( \LaTeX \) I would write the following code:
Code: [Select]
\frac{1}{2}.

In order to tell the forum that this is \( \LaTeX \) we need to surround the code with special tags like this:
[latex]...[/latex]
So, the following:

[latex]\frac{1}{2}[/latex]
... is rendered as:

\[ \frac{1}{2} \]

If you want the notation to appear in a line of text (like this: \( y=mx+c \) then use the 'inline' flag like this:

[latex=inline]y=mx+c[/latex]
The second method is to use the built-in \( \LaTeX \) editor based on fMath - see the button with the '\( \pi \) and pencil' icon in the text editor when you write your post. I'm in the process of writing a blog post on this feature so there'll be more information on this soon!

The third method is to write out your question, take a photo and then attach it to a post using the Attachments and other options settings underneath the text editor. This is the easiest option but watch out for the file size limit.

As ever, if you have any questions then please ask!
« Last Edit: 11 September, 2018, 02:27:36 pm by admin »
If you're looking for individual or group maths or phyiscs tuition and live in the Edinburgh/Midlothian/Fife area please visit the Your Maths Tutor website